Thursday, May 21, 2009

Mapping Scars


-Angelina Jolie
While lacking a little rhetorical finesse, Angelina Jolie still has a point. A scar is a semi-permanent reminder of a trauma that occurred in the past that was just violent (or stupid) enough to leave a lingering reminder. I have quite a few scars. That's why I'm so sexy.
Every scar has a story, and can incite feelings of remorse or embarrassment. All of mine fall under the latter category. From Saran Wrap blades to falling candelabras, the sources of my scars provide a smattering of information about my life, revealing the causes of my healed-over wounds--my lessons learned. That is why the incident that led to each scar will be dramatically reenacted in a small picture connected to the placement of the scar on my body. The date and location of the incident will be revealed, along with a short anecdote of the happening.
The map will consist of a full-body photograph with the details and reenactments of each scar connected to its position on my body. I hope to show how all of my scars are parts of a greater whole and have merged to create the fabric of a clumsy (but sexy) individual.

"It's a shallow life that doesn't give a person a few scars."
-Garrison Keillor.

1 comment:

  1. Fantastic. It would be cool if it was a blown out flattened map, like they do with terrain. I'll be curious how you present that in the end.

    ReplyDelete